Sunday, August 21, 2005

Finally at Home

It is 9:14 pm and the house is busy but peaceful: my host mother (I call her imo = "eemoe", which means aunt and my host father i call imobu = "eemoeboo" which means uncle..tho at school i call him teacher out of respect. he teachers korean languge to seniors), my host father is busy drilling and hammering in curtains, shelves and other things because the family just moved into a new apartment, my brother -Seun Hyeon (18)- is watching TV and always on stand by to help me with anything, my little host brother -Woo Hyeon (12) is reading a Korean History comic book. Though in some ways I am still finding my place here, soon it will truly be my home. Our view of the flush green mountains from any window in the apartment and the cool breeze that comforts us as we work and rest on this Sunday night, comforts me in the midst of my slight homesickness. Though I'd give anything to hop onto the bus and head down to the village, yesterday's 10 minute drive to hike 2 hours up and then down Yudalsan was soothing enough.

My imo keeps saying that I am "truly korean". When she finds out the foods I like to eat, that I love to climb mountains, when I tell her I love hearing Korean language and voices, that I like rice and soup in the morning instead of cereal, and maybe even when she sees the way I squat when I wash my laundry by hand--she says I am Korean. My imobu tells me he will help me find my aunts who I believe live within an hour to two of here...and my younger brothers make me laugh and take care of me well...

Still, I miss Kristofer, Gloria, Daniel, and Edwin....: (

I wonder how my brother, sisters, nephews, and nieces are doing...I think I missed a few bdays...:(

Anyway my school--
The girls are so funny! I feel a bit like a celebrity as they giggle when the walk by, try to steal waves and looks at me while they study, run up to me and ask to be my "best Korean friend", wave and run away...However, I did see one girl who couldn't be any more uninterested. It made me keep in mind that I can't let myself get gassed. Still, they make me laugh and smile. I am really excited for this year.

With that said...I better run and finish my lesson for tomorrow. I am also trying to watch my internet time...I don't want to be glued to the computer.

Kristofer and Hilary-- my heart is with both of you as you find that you have families and homes around the globe and connect with a world that you always hoped and dreamed was out there. Mi corazon es con tigo siempre. Is that right? My heart is with you always....ciao...안 녕!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home