Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Commentary on Jackie's Observation

Although I would normally just respond in the "comments" section of the blog, I found this topic so overwhelmingly prevalent in this country that it's necessary to put my own experience into a whole section. I know, I know, aren't I just so greedy?

Anyway, yes Jackie, I agree with you 110% about your language observations and I deal with it on a daily basis. Many people think that I'm lucky to have come to an english speaking country (well, I am actually), but in reality, it has given me an entirely new perspective on the spoken word (and sometimes the written word as well).

As far as spoken english in concerned, I have encountered everything from American, to Kiwi, to Aussie, to Brittish, to any other form you can imagine. I've just become able to distinguish between people from England or New Zealand, and even tell when there is an Aussie in the room. The most extreme experience I have had with language though is through children.

Working at an afterschool childcare center, part of our day is spent doing homework with the kids...both reading and spelling typically and anything else that needs to be done. I quickly became aware of the difference in our languages when I would try to help a child sound out a word and realize that they had no idea what I was talking about because a vowel was said differently in our culture compared to theirs. Take the word "ten" for example. In American English, it is spoken with a short "e" in the middle. Here in New Zealand, they say it almost like the word "teen". "I have teen dollars in my pocket." I've found that, in order to keep the children from becoming confused, that I've had to speak in an accent when practicing reading!! It is quite amusing to hear myself put on this faux kiwi accent to help the kids read. But otherwise they don't understand. In fact, one child that I helped nearly everyday for three weeks started speaking with a mixed American and Kiwi English accent when reading with me. We laughed about it and decided that it really didn't matter much. It was an amazing lesson for both myself and the child though, because I learned that all those classes about long and short vowels, really are very culturally relative, and he learned a bit about another type of English at a very young age. Quite interesting.

I have also found that I experience a lot of difference in adults and we like to play the "how do you say this?" game a lot. I have found myself speaking like the kiwis sometimes, but only a few words here and there and they are completely out of context.

As far as written word is concerned, it has also made me realize that all those spelling lesson when we were little, in which our teachers commanded that we spell certain things with great accuracy were kind of pointless (and arrogant) as well. Many of the words I once mispelled as a child are spelled that way here!!! So my mispellings in America are totally correct in New Zealand. Hmmm (i wish i could think of a good example).

One other thing to consider about the written word (which i have only recently discovered, call me behind the times if you will) is that books are written differently sometimes. Did you know that every book of Harry Potter has two versions? One with an English cultural twist and one with an American atmosphere?? When I heard this I immediately found the first Harry Potter book, English edition (for that is the edition they read here) and began reading, finding many sayings and words that, had I not lived here, I would never understand. For instance, we may say "let's have a cup of tea, or would you like some tea?" Well, they call having tea here "having a cuppa" and they call dinner here "tea". I find that a bit silly as it gets very confusing, even for the kiwis, but live and learn, eh?

So that is my insight into the whole language observation and the one thing I have learned from it so far is this: People need to stop taking correct grammar and spelling and everything so seriously. I'm not saying we shud spel evryting lik dis, but I think a few letters here and there, that look and sound correct, may not be such a huge harm to our schoolchildren of this world. Take another culture's way of doing things into consideration...it may benefit the kids more than we know.

Love you guys!!! Miss you all!!! -Nic

1 Comments:

At 8/12/05 4:20 PM, Blogger jacquelina said...

Wow!! Thanks so much Nicole! Your observations illuminate even more for me here...it will take me some time to think about it little more and write about it again, but I'm so glad you added that. It's so relevant to Korea!!

love you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home