Saturday, August 27, 2005

La Fería del Maíz

The Corn Fair. That is what is going on right now in this city of corn, coffee, and agriculture, Matagalpa Nicaragua. The cathedral and Parque Morazán are crammed full of people and stands selling everything and everything made out of corn. I am particularly enjoying guerila con caujada, a thick tortilla made from ground green corn cobs, served warm off the grill with a soft white cheese present in almost all Nicaraguan meals. I spent the morning seated in the park, reading, trying not to scratch the numerous mosquito bites on my lower legs and ankles. I was told that if you have 40 bites, you are likely to contract denghue fever. I haven´t put myself to counting mine for fear of the number that I may reach, though I don´t think it´s actually near 40. I spent the day yesterday at the CECOCAFEN, becoming both enlightened and impressed by information about the outer- and inner-workings, the commitment to a social project, the acknowledgement of the issues and problems of cooperative business. It was good to get some straight answers, to spend some time in the office. Though I was a little put off when one of my interveiwees turned the first few questions right against me, starting taking notes, and stated in a no-nensense way, "This is what you have come to investigate. This is what CECOCAFEN is giving you, what can CECOCAFEN expect from you in return? What is the benefit that we will recieve from your being here?" This question terrified me, as it is what I am unsure about myself! I don´t know what I have to offer, other than an open mind, a willingness to work and learn, and a desire to go home with an increased understanding and ability to tell people why Fair Trade and cooperatives do or do not make that much difference. Eek! So I told him that, and what I am working on with interviews and part of the eco-tourism guide, and he seemed happy. Though he still wants me to write some kind of letter explaining that and my commitment to it or something along those lines. I´ll have to look back at my notes and think a little more about that one. But things are well. My parents are coming to see me at the beginning of October! I can hardly believe it, hardly hold in my excitement! They are coming down, well, no longer as a surprise, but to help me celebrate my birthday. Hmmm. I am one lucky duck. I realize now, as I near the end of august, that this year is going to fly by, some times more than others, but that it is on its way. Kris and Jackie, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to be hearing about your adventures, your homes, your lives. I love you both...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home